Day One at Xoozya (cont’d)
Exploring my dashboard
The HR body went about her business, leaving me with my pencil & pad and flask of coffee to spend the next two hours before lunch exploring my dashboard. 378 hits on my CV already. I started to look.
Yes, the CEO has looked at my CV and is interested in a project I did, wow, almost 20 year’s ago. And he is not the only one. Ah, but this guy is interested in something else. And this one in something else. I might be hard pressed to find two people interested in the same thing. So what do I do? How do I respond? What do I say? What is expected of me? What is my objective? Let me look closer.
Dashboards as open as Twitter
Well, other people can see my dashboard and I can see thei’s. Let me look at the CEO’s profile. Oh, how interesting. He is following 3452 people. He must follow everyone. But he only as 26 followers. Hmmph – Twitter wouldn’t like that.
Who is following the CEO and more importantly why isn’t everyone else?
I’m looking down his list of followers now. That seems to be the PA. That seems to be the communications secretary. Wow, that’s his wife, and his daughter. The Financial Director, the Chairman of the Board, the Marketing Director, the odd intern.
Why don’t other people follow him?
Follow Town Hall rather than CEO
Let me look at someone else. Let me look for a well know name. This will do. Hmm, quite a few followers and byt not following many people. Ah, the CEO conundrum explained. Following “Town Hall” – and yes 3725 people follow Town Hall. Let’s put that on a To Do list. Follow Town Hall because everyone follows Town Hall.
- OK I think I am getting this. I need to follow people whose movements I need to know about.
- Then I probably need a sprinkling of people throughout the company to give me some idea of what is happening across the piece.
That’s enough learning for the moment.
Conversations don’t scale
- How do you decide who fits into your ‘Dunbar’ groups? Who are your intimates (who probably are not part of your work group)?
- Who is in your hunting band of 30 and how do you know where they are and what they are doing?
- Who is in your tribe of around 150 and how do you know enough about what they are doing without being overwhelmed by detail?
I would love feedback on this post. If you liked it, would you do 1 of these 5 things, please?
- Bookmark the article with Delicious, Stumble, Digg or any other service
- Subscribe using the RSS feed (top right)
- Subscribe to me in your feedreeder
- Blog about the post and give me some ‘link love’ by attach this url to the words Xoozya OR Jo Jordan OR flowingmotion
WordPress kindly tells me when you have done that and I’ll be over to read what you have written!One Comment