Peter J Webb quotes Arlin (1990)’s 6 features of wisdom which make a neat and snappy heuristic for coaching executives and any one else for that matter.
Approach a situation by asking questions
1. What do we all agree about?
2. What really matters here?
3. What in our present situation is relevant and different from what we expected?
4. What would be a more interesting way of looking at the world than we did yesterday?
5. How would that perspective expand our agreement and our relationship with the world?
6. What could we experiment with and try out right now?
This list is also so useful for personal coaching when some one is in a jam. The “we” in step one simply becomes what is working well in the person’s life.