I am just in the process of setting up a new website and because I don’t do this often, I am writing down how to do it.
Nothing here is new. What I write is not necessarily accurate.
These are my notes so that next time I don’t have to start from scratch.
Use my notes if they help you. But read them intelligently knowing that I am not an expert.
- Get a domain name
- Sign up for Google Apps
- Set up your hosting & load up your WordPress shell
- Link up Google Apps to your hosting service
- Complete the link up at Google Apps
These steps take us from
- I have found the name I want and I have chosen my hosting service (where my website sits physically).
- I own the name. Its “nameservers” point to my hosting service’s computers (where the website is physically)
- I have a matching account at Google Apps for email with a piece of their code on my website on the hosting service computer ‘authorizing’ Google Apps to run this parallel service using the same name as my website
- Note that if you don’t need a new email address then you don’t need steps 2, 3 and 5.