We love goals that simplify what we have to do
We are a hopeless species! Give us a goal and we cannot help ourselves. We chase it. But if the end is not in sight, we feel tired and we stop.
Hence the three rules of goal-setting.
- Make the goal definite and visible.
- Show our progress to the goal in real-time
- Make sure it is doable before we get tired.
I have been writing this blog in WordPress.com for two years. Now that is is established, I want to move it to a self-hosted site using software from WordPress.org.
I am going to move to a magazine layout which means that the last post from each category will be visible on the front page. And the reader is able to click to a category’s index to see everything I’ve written in chronological order.
The big task
My difficulty is that I have dozens of categories. I eventually settled on a format that uses 5 categories and I have chosen the categories.
Now I need to reclassify 500 or so posts into the 5 categories. At a handful a day, this could take me a year to do!
Clever goal setting is motivating & doable
I’ve finally found a way to do the transfer that is motivating.
- I look down my categories list, pick one with few entries, and resort the posts. Eventually the number becomes 0.
- Then I delete the category from the list and the categories list grows shorter!
It will still take me months but eventually
- I will have a blog with all the posts categorized under 5 topics
- I will have reread everything I have written in two years and done some light editing
- I’m bound to have write some more summary posts
- It will be easier for me review my own posts and find the questions that I have answered well and should answer soon!
The trick has been to arrange the work so
- I can see where I am going
- I have a constant sense of progress
- I can organize the work into chunks that I can finish before I get tired.
Great goal setting!