Synergy is not a word I like but do we have a better word for describing productive interaction between people? Alex from alwaysnewmistakes writes on how essential synergy is to doing well. Yeah. What a great post contrasting Venice in the time of Vivaldi with Silicon Valley of today. True, true, true.
And Alex makes the further point that it is not enough to be close to abundance. One must take part. My favorite author David Whyte puts it like this:
“I want to know if you are prepared to live in the world with its harsh need to change you.”
Some months ago, I also picked some criteria for the conditions for synergy from an academic paper by David A Lane (I’ve lost the url, unfortunately.)
a. We must have a reason to interact (e.g., you make cheese and I like to eat cheese)
b. Our roles must be complementary (e.g, you sell and I buy)
c. We must interact often enough for a system to emerge (e.g., I must buy from you to keep you in business and you must have cheese to sell to me)
d. We must have permission to find solutions and opportunities to act.
David A Lane talks in terms of worrying less about the outcome and more about the quality of the interaction. Indeed, I can go to my local deli and if they don’t have what I want, trust to them to produce something that meets my needs. I once lived in a country where there was a flour shortage. When the local bakery opened at 7am, I would go in and ask what is for breakfast? And eat what ever they produced! Generative: they were in the bakery business and I was hungry. We could work out the rest imaginatively! That is synergistic whereas going into a well stocked supermarket, isn’t really.
Synergy – I think it is an essential idea!
- Hope and the great chasm
- . . .unless it comes out of your soul like a rocket. . .
- We do know how to deal with the unknown
- Tough concepts in positive psychology: whose competence is being tested in an interview
- David Whyte
- Celebrating my supporters
- Build your castles in the air ~ where they should be
- Menus are for strangers: Good menus=Good strangers=Good business
- Mindfully in the recession
- Let the world look at you. I assure you, the world will like what it sees.