I stumbled over kottke.org today and these excellent casestudies of flat organizations: software, restaurants and high-tech manufacturing – all run with minimal management structure.
Combined with Google, I think we are collecting sufficient evidence to ask this question about command-and-control. When if ever, is it necessary?
- I don’t need to see my boss to communicate
- 9 questions for strategy at the edge
- Is the essence of new management the promotion of self-esteem?
- Are leaders made by followers?
- So if I am not going to reify my organization, what should I do?
- The give-and-take between us as we follow our dreams strengthens us as individuals and as a group
- Work & organizational psychology, GenY and Geni
- 21st century feedback, training, management, HR
- We must believe so deeply in those we lead and serve that we want them to be at our side in the heat of enemy fire.
- 2010 and the age of networked manufacturing