Were you a Brownie, Cub, Scout or Guide?
As a girl, I was a ‘Brownie’. I love the “Be Prepared’ part. I like thinking up a plan and making it happen.
It’s snowing in UK
This morning I set off for London knowing that snow was expected. I left London earlier than usual and found I rather like driving in snow. Cars slow down and observe a decent stopping distance!
And I had prepares, a little. I had a sleeping bag and a flask of hot water just in case!
What are the tricks of driving in light snow?
But what I hadn’t expected was losing my brakes. A car in front of me slowed down and I tried to as well. Aha! Judder judder. Nothing but judder.
I pumped the brakes thinking I could dislodge some ice. Nothing happened. I just closed on the car in the front of me.
So I hastily started to change down (we have manual shifts here) and looked left and right to pick a snow bank to skid into if the gears didn’t slow me down.
I did slow down, thankfully. And this happened again several times.
So much for being prepared! I realized that I know nothing about driving in snow. I need to find out!
Competence matters in this world. It really does!
PS I took 1 hour 50 minutes to get back in snow driving most of the way at 25 miles an hour. Going down to London in fine weather this morning took 2 hours 15 minutes much of it at 5 miles an hour. Snow has led to efficiency! I just need to develop a good mental model of safe driving.
- I am a geek. I watch politics. But the leaders’ debate was boring.
- 17 facts about Twitter and Facebook graph in UK for your PEST analysis
- Do you double-guess yourself? Get a mentor!
- Living with meaning in a Zizek world
- The best goal setting system in the world
- Would I ever vote for the right?
- Don’t achieve your goals! Enjoy them. They’ll be gone far too soon!
- Go students! But in solidarity
- A big crunch and a big bang
- Life on Market Day in Olney!