My profession is riddled with questions that were once as compelling as the moon in the water.
- Leaders are born
- Leaders are made
- Intelligence comes in bigger and smaller packages.
It took us some time to realise that what we wanted so badly wasn’t unattainable – it was an illusion.
It’s not so bad, though, to lie back on the grass and look at the moon overhead, is it?
We’ve just got to let go and let the universe whisper its secrets to us.
I watch the people in the world
I watch people in the world
Throw away their lives lusting after things,
Never able to satisfy their desires,
Falling into deeper despair
And torturing themselves.
Even if they get what they want
How long will they be able to enjoy it?
For one heavenly pleasure
They suffer ten torments of hell,
Binding themselves more firmly to the grindstone.
Such people are like monkeys
Frantically grasping for the moon in the water
And then falling into a whirlpool.
How endlessly those caught up in the floating world suffer.
Despite myself, I fret over them all night
And cannot staunch my flow of tears.
Taigu Ryokan (1758-1831)
- Poetry to remind us that withdrawing doesn’t solve rejection
- The deep challenge to positive psychology: war
- Ignorance is bliss but please don’t charge me for your services!
- Courage and mindfulness
- 3 ages of control
- “It’s a new dawn, it’s a new day”
- Pleasure, engagement and meaning for a good life
- Virgin, Martyr, Saint, Witch?
- Is it time to reap your harvest? If it is time, reap. Now.
- A poet tells us how to be goal-oriented AND mindful at the same time