Situation: I want Google Apps to give me gmail with the same name as my website
- I have bought a domain name from a registrar and my domain name servers are pointing at my hoster (actually I bought my name through my hoster so the domain name servers were already pointing in the right direction)
- I could use my hoster’s email but they encourage use to use gmail and I want the other benefits of a virtual office that I get through Google Apps
- I don’t want a gmail name. I want to use my name.
Task: To register for Google Apps
#1 Find Google Apps
- Google Google Apps!
- Choose the personal service
- Make an account setting your admin name to whatever you want such as firstname.lastname@example.org
#2 Note that Google Apps is telling you to verify your domain
- I got sent hither-and-thither
- Relax – it works out but it is spaghetti
- Leave this all alone for now and wait for your domain name to be registered. You will come back when this is done.
The step you have taken to launch a new website with email
- You have registered a Google Apps account so you can use gmail with your domain name
- You have to go back to your hosting service to set up your shell ready to link up to Google Apps