The brilliance of psychologists
The best skill that you will learn as a student of psychology is to “operationalise” fuzzy ideas. In plain language, we beceome brilliant at writing questionnaires. What is an extravert? Someone likes going to parties. And so on.
Warmth is less valued
The skill that you will not learn as a student of psychology is to “encourage” or “enthuse” others. You might have thought when you started your studies that that is what psychologists do. Sadly, warmth and connection will be beaten out of you as sin of “measurement error”.
And what of generativity?
So you may be really struggling with the idea of “generativity”. At least know that you are in good company. We all have to relearn what is means to help others see possibility and goodness, connection and meaning, in their lives.
To help you understand the meaning of generativity, as it plays out in our lives, here is a letter that seems to have entered the web via Harvard.
And as a good psychologist, note the elements:
- The impact of chance on our lives
- The effect of cutting away on defining who we are
- The constant effort to broaden-and-build, nonetheless
- The richness of connection to others to whom we are loyal and dreams we hold sufficiently dear to work at night and day
- The vulnerability to the disloyalty and treachery of others whom we love and causes to which we have devoted the best years of our lives
And then poetically
And then read the whole. The poetic quality of language is important. I was never particularly poetic. Sadly learning to operationalise didn’t particularly help.
Read the original and then take that step of thinking generatively about your lives and the lives of those you touch.
- Psychology of engagement – in chewable sentences and in boring psychological language
- Positive psychology in Barack Obama’s words
- Ingratitude is sooner or later fatal to its author
- For people who don’t get Twitter, Facebook, etc. Nice story ~ other people can read it too
- 4 big reasons why we initally find positive psychology puzzling
- Work psychology: 2008 AD
- Pleasure, engagement and meaning for a good life
- Poetry in HR?
- 5 agreed points about happy prosperous work in the new economy