I always talk to people in queues, on trains, well anywhere!
Image via Wikipedia
I always talk to people in queues, on trains, well anywhere! England is an interesting place! This is who expanded my horizons this week.
- An environment manager for a major infrastructure company, who amongst other things, is looking for a pheronome to discourage badgers.
- A young buyer who negotiates purchases penny-by-penny for a fashion chain
- A psychologist investigating whether executive coaching increases flexibility & success in senior managers.
- AND two gentlemen from The Court of The Worshipful Company of Pewterers!
Ancient Companies of London
Did you know, which I didn’t, that there are 108 Livery Companies in the city of London?
Livery companies date from the 1400’s or so and were originally trade associations or guilds. Membership of a Livery company may be by patrinomy – an ancestor may have been a pewterer, for example. It is also possible to join by redemption, for example, by having something to do with the pewter trade.
The trade associated with some Livery Companies, such as “long bows” might have died. The Companies live on, though, with people joining and rising through the ranks. The Worshipful Company of Pewterers continues to support the pewter trade. They organize competitions for design and arts students every year. They support charities. My travel companions were returning from a meeting of Neurologists (yes, doctors) who were doing research into the effect of heavy metals with financial assistance from the Peweters. One of my companions had also visited an arts class at a school whom they support in north London.
And nominally, at least, Court members have freedom of the City of London. They can sell oranges on the street if they wish, and herd sheep across London bridge. I didn’t catch whether Free and Livery members have these privileges.
And now to give the pamphlet about the design competition to my neighbour who is a fine arts graduate!
- You know, that credity thing
- 17 facts about Twitter and Facebook graph in UK for your PEST analysis
- Do you hate your job? Can we swap!
- A career begins with an abiding preoccupation
- Tribal IQ and Social Media
- If Big Society is the answer, what is the question?
- You want an employer for life . . . or a life?
- Not heard of ZIZEK? Why should you read ZIZEK?
- Spread your know-how with (un)classes
- If we don’t find productive enterprises soon, we might find we have another bubble