Hating our jobs . . . let’s do some extreme living!
You are in good company, aren’t you? Most of us hate our jobs. And it would be cool to have a job exchange.
I have another idea though. I found it on a list of unusual things to do before you die. It’s a kind of “extreme living”. The idea is this : very deliberately find a job that you hate, and do it. There!
Now why would we do that? Why deliberately find and do a job that we hate!
Because we can. Be. . . cause . . . we . . . can.
No, don’t walk away. Of course it is daft to do something unpleasant.
It’s enough trouble escaping what we hate. Why do more?
Because . . . well, you know what I am going to say. Because – we – can.
You dread your job because you are not in control and you think you will never be in control.
There are lots of times in you life that you are not in control.
But you can practice being in situations when you are not in control.
- When I was a graduate student, I very deliberately went to movies on my own. Other people went in groups. It looked odd for a young person to go on their own. So I did. Until I stopped being uncomfortable.
- A bit older, I spent three months traveling from city to city in Europe very deliberately arriving at midnight with no accommodation. Until I stopped being scared of finding myself with no where safe, dry and warm to sleep. Or rather until I learned how to find somewhere to sleep no matte where I am. You can imagine I traveled a lot more extensively because of the self-designed training course that I gave myself aged 25.
- A bit older, I decided to overcome my fear of speaking in public by presenting a public talk every month for a year. I did. Many times, hardly anyone came. But I wrote a new paper (a proper academic paper) and presented it. For 12 months in a row! I learned the art of getting on with it! And I stopped wasting time on anxiety.
So get over you dread of jobs you hate by deliberately taking a job that you hate!
Bet you learn a lot. Bet you come out the end knowing you can survive any job.
And there are many other things better faced head on.
Part of life is dealing with the dross. There is no better way than giving yourself a crash course.
Do it over and over again until you are good at it!
P.S. Great way to apply for a job. “I am applying for a job because I expect I will hate it . . .” That made you smile.
- Weekend fun: 21st century job titles
- Get to the heart of what will be the vibrant, interesting, & lucrative jobs and careers in the 21st century?
- 7 steps to network yourself into business opportunity
- 4 practical career tips from a new politician
- Who will earn more and who will earn less because of the internet?
- What happened to that “everything is waiting for me” feeling?
- Don’t wait for government; start fixing the economy yourself
- Find the courage to apologise and invite by understanding the deep hurt
- Bad management just got harder
- Law of attraction, positive thinking, and finding your dream job!