I know that learning is social
I teach. I know that people learn dramatically more when they feel part of a common venture.
We understand a little about social learning
Social learning has barely been researched but we know a little.
- We know we can stop people learning very effectively by excluding them – even inadvertently ~by loss of eye contact and they way we tell stories.
- We know the Pymaglion effect is a powerful self-fulfilling prophecy. My students will be as good as I think they are.
But the process of learnin begins when I show deep respect for who my students are and what they bring to my life.
E E Cummings on recognition
American poet E. E. Cummings puts it well:
“We do not believe in ourselves until someone reveals that deep inside us something is valuable, worth listening to, worthy of our trust, sacred to our touch. Once we believe in ourselves we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight or any experience that reveals the human spirit.”
To be an effective teacher, to be an effective manager, to be an effective psychologist ~ I must believe in you, 100%, without reservation.
- Anger: I am angry so that I am important?
- If. . . We wouldn’t be We
- What can I COUNT ON you to do?
- Let’s bring the light back to our eyes
- Mana: between ourselves and others
- We must believe so deeply in those we lead and serve that we want them to be at our side in the heat of enemy fire.
- 9 questions for strategy at the edge
- I liked this interview with Dr Tachi Yamada. 10 minute read.
- 5 Little Understood Ways to be Resilient in Hard Times
- Searching questions about management in the 21st century