Do not strike the chord of sorrow tonight!
Days burning with pain turn to ashes.
Who knows what happens tomorrow?
Last night is lost; tomorrow’s frontier wiped out:
Who knows if there will be another dawn?
Life is nothing, it’s only tonight!
Tonight we can be what the gods are!
Do not strike the chord of sorrow, tonight!
Do not repeat stories of sufferings now,
Do not complain, let your fate play its role,
Do not think of tomorrows, give a damn–
Shed no tears for seasons gone by,
All sighs and cries wind up their tales,
Oh, do not strike the same chord again!
Faiz Ahmad Faiz
- Discovering poetry: Shel Silverstein
- Poetry of solidarity in hard times
- 3 ways to help your group live happily during hard times
- “It’s a new dawn, it’s a new day”
- When you work you are a flute through whose heart the whispering of the hours turns to music.
- Do you need to say more than this poet?
- Is it time to reap your harvest? If it is time, reap. Now.
- A teacher . . . leads you to the threshold of your own mind
- Courage to live fully in 2010
- 3 steps when goals seem out of our reach